Wednesday, May 18, 2011

OUM

So my medical school - Oceania University of Medicine - has just been through a restructuring process.  Now the Australian office has moved into Melbourne CBD and has a new contact for potential students and current Australian students.  I contacted this person yesterday and told her about my concerns with my tuition fees (I have not been invoiced the correct amount all year) and about enrolling in next term which starts on the 30th.  She told me there is now a new bursar in the US and the previous bursar in Samoa has not fully handed-over everything as yet.  She also said she'd get back to me within a day or two and confirm what is happening with me next term.  That's a good start and I feel I've done all which is obligated from my end.

Being rejuvenated with enthusiasm for studying med, this morning I've already downloaded a few of the additional lectures that are on OUM Moodle (website where all your lectures etc are accessed).  These are on subjects such as communication skills, ethics, dermatology, travel medicine etc.  They don't seem to fall in the other preclinical modules but obviously you need to know them.  My plan today is to make a separate folder for these additional lectures.  There's also other additional "live" lectures through the other program called Elluminate (that's the one where you imagine if Skype and Powerpoint had a baby).  These are about every fortnight and a guest speaker will talk on a specific disease or topic.  I really wanted to attend the one on polypharmacy but I couldn't due to work.  Ideally I'd attend all of them, but just like my good intentions to workout, eat well, save money, and keep my house tidy etc sometimes it doesn't quite happen.

Today my goal is to read Lippincott's Pharmacology at work (I'm doing OT today).  So far I've learnt a new word - "intrathecal" which means within a sheath, such as the spinal canal.  By the end of this med degree I should be able to speak quite a lot of Latin and Greek.

There's only two introduciton chapters (which I'm still stuck in) then you go right into the guts of it starting in drugs that affect the autonomic nervous system.

You know you're a bit nerdy when this excits you....

2 comments:

  1. OMG this is my reading atm tooo! my Phamacologys soo my weakest point and I'm trying to teach myself It over again lol. Do you have Rang and Dale as well - its quite gd. Also Medicine at a glance is a great refresher/revision aid. Not complete depth but enough to jog your memory.
    Bee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - yes I think pharm is my weakest area. I have Rang and Dale but not MEdicine at a Glance.

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete