Monday, May 16, 2011

Hours

Today I've started a new fortnightly "time sheet" where all our hours are added up for the fortnight and eventually paid to us.  The fortnight I've just worked added up like this:

On duty - 92 hours
On duty (overtime) - 9 hours
Call-outs - 22.5 hours
On-call - 90 hours

Yes, I'm serious.  I worked 123.5 hours in a fortnight and was on-call for another 90 hours on top of that.

I heard that interns used to work 60+ hour weeks.  Well, I would be well prepared for that if I had to do it, but I think in this day and age the ambulance service seems to be the only organisation that allows people to operate heavy machinery and treat critically ill patients in a state of sleep deprivation, hunger, and exhaustion.

But enough complaining.  Tonight and tomorrow are my last for the week (unless I take another OT shift).

So I haven't been doing any TAM or other form of workout at all.  If I get enough sleep tonight then tomorrow might be a possibility.  Until then I'm thinking of how I can incorporate exercise into my daily life while working this roster and , eek, studying medicine.

Agh... my pager just went off again....

No comments:

Post a Comment