Sunday, May 29, 2011

Art and stuff

Well Thursday night my friend came over.  She lives about 4 hours drive away!  And I did her hair on Friday as I used to be a hairdresser in a former life and she never goes to hairdresser's or ever dyes her hair until just a few weeks ago and just need some advice and tweaking.  It was actually quite enjoyable to do a bit of hair again, although I was so slow at putting in the foils etc. It took hours.

She left in the afternoon and I got a darn migraine.  I was just thinking a few days ago that I hadn't had one in awhile.  The acupressure points my biochemistry lecturer taught me helped keep it to a minimum, but it still rendered me useless and unable to go into work.  The pressure points, btw, are for the kidney merdian if you produce too much serotonin and need to help excrete it.  The points are between the sternoclaivcular joints and where the first rib joins the manubrium.  Mmm... not sure what you'd call that.  I guess it's the first intercostal space immediately lateral to the manubrium.  You'll have to Google that if you're not anatomically minded.

The photo above is of a painting called "Anguish" by Albery Schenck from ~c. 1880 and is in the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne.  I went in there yesterday for something to do and came across this painting, which I recognised as I think it's fairly famous/popular.  And I really like it and want a print for my house.  It kind of inspired me to paint again.  I have one painting I did about a year ago and I'm destroyed everything else I've ever done in typical crazy artist fashion.  Anyway, the feeling of my painting is similar to that of Anguish (but not as good, obviously) and I want to do a few more and have a collection.  The one I have done already was inspired by the bitter Winters we have here out in the rural areas near Melbourne.  I really hate the cold, but I'm starting to feel more and more that the Summers are better if you also have the dichotomy of the Winters.  It's neither good nor bad, it just is the other side of the same coin.  Pretty deep life stuff, eh?  I can be a little emo sometimes if I try.

Med - I officially start the term tomorrow, being the 30th of May, but Samoa is a day behind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment