Monday, February 28, 2011

Happy anniversary

As I was sitting here trying to do the maths and find enough money to pay my tuition fees this month, I was wondering how much longer I could go on like this, that is, without much room in the budget to breathe.  And then I realised it's nearly my one year anniversary from starting studying med!

In March last year I went to Samoa for 8 weeks to do my Introduction to Medicine module.  I went so fast, I couldn't believe it.  It's so beautiful there, I could easily go back, and I hope to do so.  I estimate I have another 2.5 years of preclinical and just under 4 years in total left.  Wow.  To think I've already done a year, or 20%...

Here's an excerpt from my first entry into my journal I wrote while in Samoa (please understand I was at this point culture-shocked, jet lagged, home-sick, over-whelmed, and in an extremely hot and humid environment);

22nd March 2010 - Day 2
Dear Diary,
I'm finding it increasingly frustrating to try and study by any other means than via self-study of my Biochem text I brought with me.  I'm starting to believe I was learning more studying on my own at work, where I at least had reliable access to the internet and adequate lighting....
..... I am rather disappointed I came all this way only to be studying less effectively and more remotely
Trying to keep a positive attitude.  Now determined to study the text on my own....
.....I am enjoying the different experience in a friendly country and looking forward to returning home to my house and pets.
CJ

Ha!  I forgot how frustrated I was with the lack of aircon, good lighting, and very unreliable internet!  By the end of the 8 weeks I had totally adjusted to:
a)  Getting up early to study in the (only) cool part of the day (and by the end of the 8 weeks had acclimatised so much I wished I was in the non-aircon rooms with the ceiling fan only)
b)  Rearranged my room to try and squeeze the lamp onto my desk
c)  Gave up on using the internet as my source of information and replaced it with these things called "textbooks" in the uni library
d)  Found an internet cafe in town with a way better connection and speed than at the hotel or uni, and much cheaper.  Used it only for FB, emailing, and internet banking anyway!
I had also learnt to pre-study the day's material before I went to class, which I still try and do now and is such a life-saver.

Can't wait to look back at this time now and laugh...  so far away.....

No comments:

Post a Comment