Monday, February 7, 2011

Another life saved

As a paramedic, I like to say "another life saved" at the end of each job, but I'm being sarcastic 99% of the time.  99% of the time our work is not in any way life-saving.  If you replaced "life" with "taxi fare", then the statement would become more accurate.  Never-the-less, I still like helping people.

But tonight I just got a message from some surgeon somewhere in a big hospital in the big city.  It came via the patient themselves, who was told to pass on this very message, and then through another paramedic, who the patient initially thought was me (they were very sick the last time we met), that I "saved their life".  Nice one.  I didn't do much, and I wasn't working solo so I can't take all the credit, and I would like to think the average ambo would make the same decision in the same circumstances, but it is still very nice to hear.  It's nice to know that sometimes the decisions we make all day every day sometimes add up to something good.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment