Sunday, February 6, 2011

Home again

I made it back home yesterday afternoon.  Spent most of the day traveling back, then the evening just getting everything sorted out.

The flight was good - it's not very long- but I did have some dramas going through security as I bought 3 pairs of big metal hoop earrings and they kept trying to tell me I had a big pair of scissors in my handbag.  Ugh.  At least it was my handbag and not my carry-on which would have taken a lot longer to convince them.  They seemed pretty sure that I had scissors.

I got home to find my garage had been flooded in the big storm, which was the tail-end of Cyclone Yasi.  It's amazing to think a cyclone can affect the weather more than 2000km away.  It had already drained out and there wasn't much it damaged, but I need to closer inspect my golf bag.  Some of my garden got washed away too, but I'm glad it didn't come up just another few centimetres otherwise it would have been in my front door!  My house it located higher than the town, which is 1000m above sea level, so I am assuming that the water was from the downpour itself, and not being washed down from anywhere else.

So,I do think this is due to climate change, but I didn't think we'd see weather as extreme as this for a few more decades.  Goes to show, that in a battle between humans and Mother Earth, we're going to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment