Friday, February 4, 2011

Rabbit

Happy Lunar New Year!  I have always thought the Solar-Lunar calendar made much more sense than the Roman one, but anyway...  It's the year of the Rabbit!  One of my ex-boyfriends told me I looked like a rabbit once...  So, my friend turned 42 last year and ran a marathon (42km) to mark the occasion.  For some reason it has really stuck in my head.  I met a new friend and he is turning 42 this year and I told him he should run a marathon.  He said no.  Then my other friend is training for the Iron Man and I keep thinking these people are crazy.  Thinking, thinking, thinking.  And I've been complaining for ages I just can't get any motivation to exercise.  And it's the year of the rabbit... and I think you might know where this is heading.

So, I'm putting it out there. I want to run a marathon this year.

I'm not a runner.  My body is in no way built to run a marathon.  Didn't Oprah run a marathon once?  And I've been worried about my diet and risk of diabetes and when I did the hike yesterday I realised that if I don't get fit now, I'll never be fit.

I used to be in the Army.  I was my fittest then.  And still then I didn't feel fit.  I used to like running about 4 or 5 km cross-country, but not 42km flat.

My friend took 6 months to prepare, but she was already pretty fit before she started. My rough plan is to work towards the Melbourne Marathon in October.

Ok so I am really scared thinking about it.  It will be a lot of work, and right now my calves are killing just sitting here.  But because it seems just so impossible right now is exactly the reason why I want to do it.  I am also aware that I have just had 2 weeks off work and my body is in a routine which I don't normally have the luxury of.  Sometimes work is so crazy that I eat, work, and sleep only.  No tv, no housework.  Just come home, go to bed, and go back to work again.  I do, however, have a deadly-treadly at work.

I'm frightened.  I have overcome pain and boredom before, but not at the same time of extensive periods.  Do people listen to their iPod during marathons?

No comments:

Post a Comment