Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Today

Today I got up at a reasonable time and did, and then sent, my quiz for last week's case study in.  I should have done it last night at the latest, but like I mentioned earlier, my schedule is constantly two days behind since week one.  Oh well, it's done now and there are only two more to do for the whole term.  The other problem I have is when I'm gong through the quiz I take a lot of time to learn why the answer is correct or incorrect, particularly as a fraction of them turn up again in the final exams.  Learning that anaerobes are the most common pathogen found in aspirative pneumonia is great, but I have just learn what the difference between gram positive and gram negative bacteria are, let alone which genomes fall into which category and which of those are cocci or bacilli, and which are aerobic obligates and which are anaerobes..  One can see how I can get easily side-tracked.

I can't adequately explain how long 8 weeks can feel to me right now.  Normally with working weird shifts at work time flies, but when I'm studying med, the time lasts forever.  It's probably to do with the large amount of information I'm absorbing in a small amount of time.  And as Albert Einstein theorised (and then it was later proved) time is relative to the observer (thankyou, Dr Hawking).  In my meagre mind I think this is partially why time seems to speed up as you get old.  One year when you're 10 is 10% of your whole life, but when you're 100 it's only 1%.  Yep... I'm good at maths too....

Then I drove about 30km in a round-trip to the bank as the Post Office wasn't able to deposit cash for me.  Then I got back into the study for a short time and got recalled into work for 4 hours.  Then I came back, made some dinner, and here we are now.  Deciding whether to go for a run or finish my friggin presentation to send off ready to get up at stupid o'clock again to present it.

Ugh.

However, I told my co-worker today that I want to stop complaining so much, or rather I want to stop thinking everything annoys me all the time.  He said "You never act annoyed" just after I told him how so-and-so really annoys me when they do such-and-such.  Maybe it's because I don't have an overtly emotional response to my annoyance, but I would like to retrain my mind to stop perceiving everything as irritating or frustrating and think of it as "just is".  I'm good at the big obstacles, I'm just not so good at the small annoynces.  Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment