Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Today

Today I have the day off work but I had to get up at 5am for my lecture, that I didn't realise I needed to be prepared for until late last night (!).  Not that I can sleep before midnight anyway, but luckily I had just gone through that topic (lung cancer) with my mentor a few hours earlier and had unwittingly covered a few of the essentials.  Luckily again, my question was semi-easy and I had semi-recalled reading about that topic.  Wowsers.

My question was: "Classify lung cancer, including prevalence of different types and 'typical' patients at risk".  One thing is for sure, if I still smoked now, I would certainly quit after this week.  Last term doing cardiovascular I was reading about dilated cardiomyopathy caused from excessive alcohol intake, and I am now really scared to drink more than 3 drinks a week, although the grueling study schedule plus the marathon training I've been doing doesn't allow for much more than that anyway.

This afternoon I finally sent my missing tasks to my lecturer.  I think the student-teacher relationship is like any good relationship - it's all about communication.  I let him know as far in advance as possible what was going on and if I could have the chance to make up for lost grades.  Even, embarrassingly, I had to admit to missing last week's lecture due to sleeping through my alarm. That does not look good, but it was the truth :/

Now, I am going to squeeze 30 minutes of gardening in as my friend gave me some plants not in pots about 3(!) days ago, and if I don't get them into the ground, they are sure to die on my nature strip, and when he walks his dog past my place I'm sure he will be annoyed.

Tonight, I am catching up with a friend for a few hours to nurture both our sanities from our hectic lives.  I do feel guilty leaving the books, but it is the one night off I have this week and I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment