Thursday, December 1, 2011

Home-made marmalade

Before I moved out to this little town you could say my motto was something like "Can't cook, won't cook".  I even considered doing one of those bachelor's cooking night courses at the uni. Out of shear necessity of needing to eat more than just 2-minute noodles I started cooking (occasionally).  Cookbooks drive me mad.  I don't like to stick to set volumes and times, but I do draw inspiration from recipes I find online or wherever.  I prefer to improvise and get creative.  I think that's what I like about rural and remote medicine - you don't always have every latest and greatest test or piece of equipment at your disposal.  But I digress.....

Here is my recipe for home-made candied burnt-orange marmalade I made (made-up) yesterday instead of studying.  A lot of the recipes I saw add pectin, but I did not.  I used citric acid as a preservative, and lemons, but I have no idea how long they will store for.  I'll be keeping mine in the fridge until my preservative skills improve.

Candied burnt-orange marmalade
Ingredients:
10 oranges
2 lemons
1 cup of water
4 teaspoons of citric acid
1 cup of castor sugar
Saucepan
Jars for storing - wash well in hot water to minimise bacteria and allow longer storage
Labels
Makes only about 500mg - 4 tiny baby-food jars.  Double recipe as required.


Thinly slice four oranges and two lemons with their rind still on.

Cut up the remaining six oranges but discard the rinds.  Cut the flesh into chunks about 1-2cm cubed.

Places the oranges and lemons into a non-stick saucepan.

Begin to cook on a moderately high heat and begin adding some water so they don't stick.  Continue adding the water so the oranges and lemons reduce but don't dry out too much.  Stir as necessary.

Add the citric acid and stir-in well.

Add the castor sugar and continue reducing the juice and water on low heat and mix in well.

Keep a good eye on it now as it will start to candy and burn.  I've got no idea how long this takes - maybe 15-20 minutes.

Once everything looks jam-like and there is no runny juice or water allow some of the rinds to just burn a little on the pan and then remove from heat.

Put into jars.

Can be used as marmalade on English muffins, or as I prefer in cocktails or ice-cream.

Burnt-orange cosmo
30mL vodka - any, seriously.  The cheap stuff is fine.
30mL Cointreau (or Chambord for a bit more berriness)
Cranberry juice (or pomegrante juice, or even ginger beer for the "mule" version)
Candied burnt-orange marmalade
Chilled martini glass

Mix together and enjoy responsibly!



No comments:

Post a Comment