Sunday, December 4, 2011

In your end-o

Today we did the first half of the student presentations.... and I'm going next week!  I've finished my presentation this morning in case I was first up and to get it out of the way before revision week next week.

It's nearly the end-o of the endo-crine module and I really like endocrinology.  I also really liked biochem, cardiac and respiratory so far (not so much musculoskeletal).

My lecturer said she's doing neuro next term, so I guess neuro is on the list of possibilities for me.  In fact I think she said she was going to request that I be in her class because she is also my academic advisor right now (I'm supposed to have one in Australia but there is none currently in that position) and she wants to tutor me in molecular biology and other basic sciences to help me for the USMLE.  It is such an amazingly generous offer, but half of me is thinking "oh no, not MORE study!  i have bought the textbook to do the MITOpenCourseWare free online course in mol bio, so I hope to do that over my 4 week break.

I have been concerned about my finances for enrolling into next term, but I've decided I will find that $3000 somewhere, even if it means borrowing it, which I really don't want to because of the high interest of repayments and my budget is already stretched - so repayments with interest is not exactly ideal.  Plus, I have those clinical modules coming up for which I need to SAVE money, not borrow it.  That is why I was hesitant to borrow, but I've decided to do so anyway (if I need to - I have a few pay cheques coming up before then) to get these preclinical modes out of the way.

I just got sent a Google-alert for the following article which is talking about the numbers of females in medical schools has now passed the number of males and they are predicting soon there will more female doctors than male doctors in Australia, especially in certain specialties - no points for guessing that those specialities are the "family-friendly" ones some of the female medicine specialties.

Rise of women doctor numbers in Australia

(PS the title of this post is a quote from Scrubs)

No comments:

Post a Comment