Friday, December 23, 2011

Tight-ass home-maker tips

I just managed to score some curtains, railing, and rod from the local op-shop.  I'm so impressed.

The "good" op-shop (the big one with furniture) is only open 11am-1pm Fridays and Saturdays. If I'm passing by I often stop in to have a scout around.  I'm convinced that if you have a small wish-list in the back of your mind it's easier to wait for what is suitable/affordable than trying to find it straight away.  It's easier if you can accept that you can live without curtain netting until you find the right stuff.

All my windows came with blinds but I put up curtains in the bedrooms to block light creeping in through the cracks on the sides.  They were very cheap, light-weight ones from the cheapie shop ("The Warehouse"), in just simple charcol and gold.  In Cambodia, I picked up two matching massive king-size bed sized silk fabrics which I converted into curtains and look great. 

I've had my eye out for some netting for months. There are three windows in my house that could use netting for privacy but it seemed so expensive from the shops.  I found some that were acceptable in design/colour (not too old granny), were in good condition, and the right width and length.  Excellent.  There was also a good rail I got for $2, and I asked and they managed to find my a curtain rod tucked away in the back. Excellent.  Everything cost me a "donation" as they are moving locations - so I just gave them $8.

I'm currently washing the curtains and I look forward to putting them up when I have some time. I'll put up some photos when they're done.

----------
Edit: If you have trouble deciding what looks crappy old op-shop and what looks ok vintage, try looking at modern versions and think about what you like about them.  For example, my dear friend has top-of-the-range netting curtains at her house. I was checking what made them look modern and expensive, compared with the granny-flat ones I see at my patients houses. Some things to consider are:
  • Colour - some colours look more tired than others, for example some cream colours can look like white that has yellowed with age, but some whites can look cheap too. Complimenting the rest of the room is a good way to have things fit well into a room.
  • Texture - I'm really into the tweed-like textures atm. Consider whether a finer or coarser texture would look best to you in the different situations.
  • Natural or synthetic - one of the best things I like about the bigger netting I just bought is it appears to be made from natural fibres, ie a wool/cotton blend.  This gives a sense of luxury and can be a real find in op-shops as it was the preferred material a few decades ago. Now it's all cheap nylon and synthetics.
  • Pattern - a modern or classic pattern can be a world of difference from a daggy 1980's/90's one. I'm really into the deco era and shudder at the sight of anything I had in my house when I was growing up.
  • Less is more - A few op-shop pieces, even curtains of furniture can looks good if they are maintained in a good condition. Having your whole place decked-out like students accommodation where you display everything you have every owned gives a slightly different feel. 
  • Condition - as above, a well-maintained item is essential.
  • Be brave - so what if your $4 curtain doesn't look so good when it's up? You only lost $4, not $240. Unless you're expecting a visit from Home Beautiful magazine this week, try again, get creative, express your artistic side, and try again.
Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment