Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Keeping it simple

Having a simple-life, a relaxed home-life, down-shifting, living frugally, living green, and living ethically can sometimes all share a similar thread.  One of the most important things to do, in my opinion, is to de-clutter.

When you de-clutter your home you begin to know exactly what you have and where everything is.  The things you already have you can take more time to look after and repair rather than replace.  You can enjoy and actually read the five novels you have instead of the five-hundred, for example.

I find the food in my pantry is much more likely to get eaten before it expires if I know exactly what I have in there, can see it all, and it is kept nicely in their packets or those plastic containers.  The same goes for the fridge, the wardrobe, the sewing cupboard, etc.  For some reason I buy less new stuff when I am more aware of the stuff I already have.

I'm not a de-cluttering expert, but this is how I do it;

Rubbish - junk that is no good to anybody
  • Finally get to use those plastic shopping bags in the kitchen draw.  Take one (or two - for some reasons all mine have holes in the bottom, so I double-line) into each room in your house and don't leave that room until it is full.  I'm forever filling mine with paper and mostly empty tubes and containers of stuff which is well-and-truely past it's use-by date and I'm continually asking myself "Where did all this crap come from?"  The normal answer is that is accumulates over time somehow.
  • Take bags straight to your bins and sort into recycling and rubbish, thereby full-filling the minimum green obligations.  If you don't have a recycling service for some reason, dispose of the rubbish in the best way you can.
  • Repeat the top two steps as frequently as necessary.
Junk - junk that may be useful to somebody
  • Boxes would be handy here. I collect and save cardboard boxes that stuff gets delivered in at work.  The other option is the local supermarket.
  • Get those old books you are seriously never going to read because you've had them for 10 years and haven't even read the blurb and put them into boxes and take them to the local op-shop.  
  • I tend to keep reference books, like "Vegetarian Nutrition for Athletes" and "What Flower is That?".  These have their own small bookcase.
  • Other junk, like crappy old crockery when you already have 20 dinner plates.  Exceptions - keep old cutlery for picnics, keep jars for homemade chutney.  These will be coming posts!  Old bottles can also be handy too. If you do decide to hang onto bottles and jars, it's best to put them in their own box out of the way yet where they can be found when the time comes.  The garage or laundry are good places.
  • Childrens' toys - as much as I love my Hello Kitty manicure set, it might be time to give that to the op-shop.  If the toys are too dirty and embarrassing to give to friends/relatives, don't under-estimate the op-shop.  I forever see children leaving there with a new toy.
  • Things in this category also might go well at the local trash 'n' treasure market.  I've done a few, but the goal is to get rid of everything, even if someone offers 20c for it.  It's junk to you, remember!
eBayable - junk that probably has some value to somebody on eBay
  • Have a look at what stuff you have and never use and ask yourself if you'd rather have it cluttering up your home or $5.
  • Things I have found that eBay really well are textbooks (medical and scientific go well for me), Nintendo games (Wii and DS) and some DVDs especially TV series.  I'm guessing other textbooks or well-known books might do well, as would other video games and some DVDs.  I had the Grey's Anatomy series and they sold very well.
  • Anything with a brand-name that is normally expensive to buy new seems to do well. I got rid of all my genuine Pandora charms in a flash!
  • Things that I find don't sell well are old clothes (unless they have a designer label) and other things that should really be in the above category and taken to the op-shop.
  • Remember that eBay charges a small fee (unless you list it without a gallery photo for 99c reserve price) and there is time involved in putting up an item for auction and then organising posting it.  Also, some buyers can be really annoying.  Overall, I've had a good experience on eBay.
Valuable items - things that definitely have an intrinsic value
  • Valuable items don't normally fall into the clutter group, but if you find yourself with something that definitely has value, such as gold jewellery or a very nice antique, either display them, store them appropriately, or sell them at the right place such as a jeweller or antique store.  eBay may be appropriate in some instances.
  • Taking the time to display something nicely shouldn't clutter your home.
  • If you decide to store something should only be for certain special circumstances such as heirlooms.  If you do decide to stare a few things then pack the item appropriately and label the box clearly.  Don't forget you have it!
By now you should be feeling much better.  You might be surprised at how often you have to repeat this process!

Things I like to keep in mind while I'm de-cluttering;
  • When did I last use this?
  • If this got stolen from my home, would I even notice it was gone?
  • If I had to move overseas, would I bother paying to ship this with me or to put it in storage?
  • Does this thing enhance my life, or make it more cluttered?
There are some exceptions to the rule, but try not to get trapped here.  For example, I like to reuse sewing fabrics, buttons, and bits and bobs.  I have a sewing/crafting section of my cupboard.  I keep it fairly organised.  I also like to re-use envelopes (I keep the ones banks forever send me junk in and re-use them for my mail - just takes a bit of sticky-tape and white-out) and scrap paper.  I also keep these very organised in their own draws in my study.  I have a friend that is a farmer and keeps old motor parts in his shed, just in case, because he generally uses them eventually.  If you do some of these practices then you need to keep this sort of junk organised or risk getting cluttered. It might be best to set yourself limits such as one draw, one cupboard, or one shed!

You might want to de-clutter a room a week, or I like to do a plastic bag in each room and a box on one of my days off before I start the housework.  The important thing is to start.

Once everything is de-cluttered you can start to organise your remaining stuff!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment