Saturday, June 25, 2011

PT couse and internal chatter

Well I finally submitted section 1 of the first assignment for my personal trainer course.  I'm not sure how long it took - probably longer than it feels - but I'm happy that the ball is rolling along in the right direction albeit slowly.  Not bad me thinks for the hours I'm working and, oh yeh, that medical degree I'm doing too.

So in my med degree the modules are fairly independent from one-another, that is, there is no sort of pre-requisite in the pre-clinical module from one module to another (except the first one in biochemistry) and the learning is sort of more horizontal than vertical.  This is all fine, except I'm in my second year and I feel as clueless as I did last year.  I'm just starting to realise it's because I'm not necessarily building on past terms, one on top of the other, it's more of a building side-by-side, and accumulation of breadth at constant incredibly scary depth. I've been doing practice USMLE World question and I'm, like, "I don't know anything!"  but it's really I don't know anything about the musculoskeletal system (yet).

Well with section one of the PT course submitted at least I can relax and I wont feel bad if I completely leave the next section until this med term is over - in 4 weeks!  Eek!

Don't tell anyone, but we didn't do a single job today at work (I was on over-time, "the perfect crime" as my work colleague put it)!  Not one!  And after a great amount of sleep-bank deposits yesterday I studied from 7am to 6.30pm tonight!  I'm so proud of myself.  Then I just did about 30 mins on that PT assignment to get it submitted.  Feeling like I accomplished something today.

Well, only two months until I go on my trip now.  I changed shifts today with someone who went to Nepal two years ago so I got chatting to him and a good lead on a good tour guide in Kathmandu (for the first week where I still have nothing planned and plan to keep it unplanned until I get there as the rest of my itinerary is already mapped out).  Then I got on eBay and had an interesting discussion with myself on whether North Face clothing was worth the money and whether I would be a victim of marketing/consumerism/capitalism if I bought a North Face down jacket.   The internal jury is still out on that one.  Standby....

Practicing Buddhism seems to have increased how much I notice my internal chatter, so don't be alarmed if you're not used to listening to the internal chatter.  The say the difference between a mad person and a sane one is mad people talk out-loud.  I'm also still deciding whether talking to my pets is crazy or not.  At least I'm not talking to the wall...

No comments:

Post a Comment