Monday, June 13, 2011

Everybody - panic!

I'm at Code Orange on my panic scale.  It's my last designated day for this case study and I have two massive learning issues to cover and it's not going to happen.  My head is dizzy from not sleeping enough/properly and I'm at damage control status.

The learning issues are the physiology of muscle fibre contraction and the biochemistry of energy production.  The basic concepts I already understand thanks to my paramedic background (physiol) and the biochem term I did in Samoa, and I've just looked at ATP for the PT course.  I just really need to revise and go more in-depth.  That would be fine if I had 3 days.  I have more like 3 hours and I'm tired.  My eyes don't even work properly.

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 will be my saviour again, and I think I'll get my USMLE World QBank subscription a wekk early next week.  Maybe I might even think "Stuff it.  I'll cram those two points before the exam".  Biochem is a lot of rote learning anyway.

No, I really don't want to be the kind of doctor that crams for exams and data-dumps afterwards, but I need to keep the bigger picture in-focus.  I have learnt almost all thre is to know about osteoarthritis and the relevant medications this week.  I feel confidently that I could differentially diagnose most presentaitons of joint pain.  This is good.  I can look more in-depth as I move forward.  My primary goal is to pass.

This is my rationale. 

Oh well, here I go.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! Sounds like you are focused and committed, and these characteristics will serve you well as you go through the process of school, exams, residency and then your career.

    Practicing questions is key, so you're on the right track there. If you need some extra questions, try Kaplan's Qbank for free: http://www.kaptest.com/Medical-Licensing/Try-Us-For-Free/index.html

    Best of luck on the exam!

    ReplyDelete