Friday, June 10, 2011

Harrison's and the curse

I'm back at work now on my normal rostered shifts.

I spent my whole day yesterday grocery shopping, cooking a roast, making stock from chicken bones, baking protein muffins, and making a beef and brown pasta dish... And after all of that I think I've only got enough food for about 3 days!  I did a good workout though, so I'm happy about that.  It's much easier on a day off, but I'll try and find some time today again.

Right now, I'm obsessed with Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine.  I got a cheap old edition a while ago because I heard it was a great reference text to have.  You can get the 14th edition (~1995) for about $1!  Slowly, slowly I've been replacing my old editions with newer ones and donating the old ones to work's library - I've pretty much double-it now. 


The books I donate I put a Medieval "curse" on the front of them that I first saw at the hospital library in Warragul - a little country town, where I did my emergency department and anesthetics clinical placements for ambulance.  The curse goes:

For him that Stealeth a Book from this Library,
Let it change into a Serpent in his hand & rend him.
Let him be struck with Palsy, & all his Members blasted.
Let him languish in Pain crying aloud for Mercy,
Let there be no Surcease to his Agony till he sink to Dissolution.
Let Bookworms gnaw his Entrails in token of the Worm that dieth not,
When at last he goeth to his final Punishment,
Let the flames of hell consume him for ever & aye.

I think it works better than the electronic devices!  I'm scared!

Ok, so I'm going to read the chapter on joint pain in Harrison's now as I am still not motivated to look at bone anatomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment