Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Too early 2

This morning began when I got rudely awoken by a phone call from New York - ok so I should have been up already but my alarm didn't work (I sleep through alarms when I'm that tired which is always worrying when I'm at home on-call). We have downloaded the latest version of Securexam and my fingers are crossed that I'll be able to do my quiz today.

It's research day today (wow - that came around really quick), so I'm just deciding whether to stay up or go back to bed for two hours before journal club.....me thinks beddy-bed-bed time.

Yesterday I had my new express 1-hour mentor meeting. It's too brief, but what can one do. My mentor thinks it's better to continue meeting weekly for the hour rather than fortnightly for two hours. My supposedly compensatory 1-hour academic advisor's meeting (via Skype until they can recruit some Australian academic advisors) really only lasts for 10 minutes, so I'm feeling a little ripped-off. I didn't feel well-prepared enough for my mentor meeting and I'm sort of kicking myself. I felt like a tool. I'll make sure next week I am the expert of hemiparesis.

In good news - I got a phone call last night from a student who is in his clinical rotations and he is absolutely loving it. He has managed to secure the best, most competitive core rotations at the best hospitals. It turns out he used to work for a pharmaceutical company and therefore....it's who you know sometimes. But what I'm so grateful for is he, and he classmates, are paving the way for the rest of us and doing so with a positive attitude. Big thank you to them. He also put my mind at ease a bit and said to keep over 75% in modules and I will be well -prepared for the clinicals. Whew. He also reminded me what a little gem Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine is, and I read a little in bed last night.









2 comments:

  1. It's incredibly British. I love the foreword to the neuro section (that I read last night) - a little ode to the carers. Nice.

    ReplyDelete