Thursday, January 12, 2012

Research

So I've been in contact with the fairly young research and evaluation department (R+E Dept) at my work. I have been thinking for awhile I should try and get involved in some sort of project and preferably have something published to help boost my job potentials for when I'm a newly-minted doctor. The R+E Dept was extremely helpful and have encouraged me to do my own little project! Eek! The lady I spoke to also suggested that I use the project as the one I need to do to complete my Masters next year. I thought the gap was too long, but when I started reading through all the paperwork and deadlines for research grants etc, it's really not at all. I'll keep you posted with how I go and what I'm going to look at, but I think I have a pretty good idea how to tie in my three worlds of ambulance, in-hospital medicine/primary health care, and international health. Exciting!

Another thing she said is that there are 17 people in my ambulance service currenlty doing their PhDs! Holey-moley! It was about 2 years ago the first EVER paramedic got his PhD in a paramedic-related field. Boy, how things have changed since we transitioned into university-based training (for the old on-the-job model). This is encouraging news for an academic that likes to remain clinical like myself. Geez I'd love to be a doctor in the ambulance service....

Other update - my boss quit. I am now the longest serving member of my ambulance station at just 3.5 years, and the most experienced paramedic at 4 years. Geez. I don't have to worry about any big bosses reading this when I say I do not want to take over the newly vacant position. I'm already studing med, my Masters, I'm the Health and Safety Rep, and, oh yeh, sometimes I do have something that looks like a LIFE! The position does indeed pay well/better but it would annihilate my downtime and that wouldn't be good for my studies.

What else? Minimal study yesterday but I got a fair-few things ticked off my to-do list, some of which were imperative like paying my tuition fees! Now that was an effort! The bank lady made me repeat at least 8 times the amount I'm sending and each time it really hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment