Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Skinny Bitch

So somehow I got reading another fitness blog yesterday and she recommended the book Skinny Bitch. Well, it was $7 on Amazon as an eBook so I thought - what the hell. I don't think I've ever read a book in only a few hours but I got through this one yesterday arvo.

I was tricked (and it worked).

This book pushes the political agenda of veganism. There's a whole chapter on slaughter houses and the cruel things people have said, and have been quoted, to do to animals. My minds eye has been scarred. I cuddled my dog all last night because I was so sad about what people do to animals.

I'm already a "friend" of The Institute for In Vitro Sciences and The John Hopkins centre for Alternative to Animal Testing but I might look a bit more back into this now.

I know slaughter houses aren't pretty places, but geez, it's much harder to not think about it now, especially after my terrible recent experience going roo shooting.

I think I have become an instant vegan.

So my background is I was vegetarian that ate little diary for a while. And I have been, what I call, a "part-time" vegetarian for years. That is, I am quite selective about what meat I eat and I probably only eat meat once a day on average (which is not much when you compare that to three times a day for most people). I make the best choices that I can, and I don't buy leather (my work boots are leather but they are standard issue and I don't get the one pair I'm entitled to a year), and I always get free-range eggs. I also like tofu and soy milk and rice milk.....

So now I'm a paramedic, a med student, a Masters student, trying to get fit and healthy, trying to live sustainably, trying to live simply, AND and friggin vegan. Ugh.

My main concern is when I travel - I might not be able to be so selective. But thinking about it, in Samoa it should be really easy as they have no dairy industry (they have coconut milk), no cattle industry (almost everything is imported frozen), and I think I can avoid the seafood too.

I plan to chronicle my vegan adventures here on this blog now too.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment