Sunday, January 8, 2012

Neuro

So I technically start the neuro module tomorrow, however I am late with my tuition fees. They won't allow me to enrol without the first month's instalment paid, which is ~$2000. I have up to the end of the week at the latest. After Christmas, going away and not doing any overtime, and being a little too relaxed with my money, I got myself behind a bit and I've had to grovel to my parents for a short-term loan. The way this year is shaping up, I doubt there will be any overseas trips happening (although Bali is on sale currently at $450 return....). These are the sacrifices we have to make I suppose.....

I did just get back now (on the train) for a lovely weekend away into (a different) country-side. It was wonderfully relaxing before I start back at med school again, despite my harrowing first experience "shooting" (hunting). I was just the driver and everything was done humanely and no meat was wasted, but it was dreadful. I wanted to see what happens for myself, and I even forced myself to watch the cutting up of the meat although I felt quite ill.  I said to my friends if I go with them again I will drive and not get out of the front of the ute.

If they weren't so safe with their rifles and strict with what and how many they kill etc I'd want nothing to do with it. They only shoot roos, rabbits, and foxes, and never wallabies and avoid getting female roos (due to the risk of joeys in their pouches). I would eat roo (kangaroo) if it was humanely shot and properly prepared and we only took what we needed and I didn't buy additional meat from the butcher's, etc. I just need to learn how to cook roo so it's not so gamey. I'll have to ask my friend in Alaska who makes moose spring rolls for some tips. I also need a special fridge to "hang" them in, which just feels so creepy. But logically, I think it's better to just take out one small roo out of a herd every few months and do it properly, than to consume a lot of meat from who-knows-where. After-all, roos are a real pest to the local farmers, despite how cute they are.  It will be a much greater leap before I'd see myself eating rabbit......

Anyway, my first neuro case study is Multiple Sclerosis. I asked my lecturer to email me the case study as I can't access my stuff on the OUM website until I've been cleared by the bursar and register. At least now I can make a start this week.  Also, I had a "first-pass" read of the FA neuro section and it looks intimidating to say the least. As a paramedic, I'm pretty good with strokes - both ischaemic and haemorrhagic. After that, I have no clue.

I also start back on-call tonight, so I guess I'll get organised for that now and try and do some study on-call (and wait for the comments to arrive from PETA...)

No comments:

Post a Comment