Saturday, January 21, 2012

Happy anniversary

Happy anniversary to me! I't s four years today since I started at my job. Woo-hoo! Oh how the time has flown by....

My co-worker today (30 years in the job) asked me if I thought I would still be here after four years, given that the average paramedic lasted only 7 years in the job when I started, and now that figure has decreased to five years (or so I have heard). And the short answer is - I was already considering medical school but if my ambulance service allowed me clear career progression and other things such as time off without pay to work, say for example in an aboriginal community or overseas doing aid, then, yeh, maybe I would have been more satisfied to stick around. But from what I've heard, the longer a paramedic stays, the more they cost the company, so, really, encouraging ambos to stay longer is not a priority it would seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment