Monday, July 11, 2011

Relaxation and dealing with stress and anxiety

As if it wasn't obvious from the pattern of my recent posts, but I have been suffering from a fair bit of stress lately and that has started to creep over into the realm of anxiety.  I completely blame my job, and more specifically the on-call roster, and also myself for working too much.  I do enjoy the stress.  If I'm not pushing myself I feel bored.  I don't think you need to be a doctor to figure out this might not be entirely healthy.

I like to chill-out too, though.  Preferably on a beach with a cocktail that is served in a coconut with a straw and one of those little umbrellas.  I also like to sleep a lot.  And I love my bubble-baths and TV.  I've often considered putting a TV in my bathroom above the bath.

But my anxiety was starting to affect my composure and ability to study this week.  I was feeling too on-edge to absorb anything and I didn't even want to think about studying.  I had even gotten to that point where nothing seemed to be going right.  I even stubbed my toe and bumped my funny bone. 

It's kind of embarrassing to admit all this and as a med student I don't want anyone to think I can't hack it or I don't have what it takes.  But it would also be portraying a false image to pretend that med students and doctors are perfect, robot-like identities that don't succumb to human emotions.  I hate people who are fake.

Anyway, fortunately for me but not for them, I am not the only one I know going through this so I was put onto this great DVD by Glenn Harrold.



It is a relaxation DVD that uses hypnosis and I have to say it works a treat.  Actually, I went through all this before I went to Samoa last year, and then again when I came back from Samoa.  Before I went to Samoa I emailed the accommodation to make sure they had a DVD player as I got so dependant on this DVD.  I tried my friend's Valium once and it only made me have worse rebound symptoms.  Excercise is great too, and eating Low GI, but this DVD is like my Valium.  I probaby don't have to mention to avoid caffeine and alcohol.  I also read my Dalai Lama book (in the bath) and the first chapter is on stress and also helped.  I feel SOooooo much better today. 
The quiz last night - I did it, felt confident,..... then got 0%!  I nearly died (this was before I did my hypnosis).  I thought "No friggin way.  I know I got these right".  I then realised what might have happened - I had let the timer run out without pressing the "submit" button.  Seems so obvious now, but I was thinking that if I didn't press submit, and let my timer run out, then it would just accept my last answers (which is a MCQ bullet-point format).  I emailed the curriculum coordinator and he sorted it all out.  I got 100%!!!  I also then asked him to look at my 2nd quiz, and, sure enough, I was supposed to get 80%!!!  So for my quizzes so far I have go 95% correct.  One more to go... Hopefully it will end up being an easy 30 marks for the module.

Things are starting to turn around.

No comments:

Post a Comment