Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Good day for studying

The weather today is perfect for studying.  It's freezing and all grey and horrible.  I'm off work today sick but I should be feeling better by tomorrow.  I hope this Winter is over soon.

We were supposed to be doing the student presentations today but there was a technical issue and the lecturer couldn't log on.  The students stayed in the virtual classroom a while a had a chat which was nice as we hardly ever get to do that.  Peer-peer bonding is nice.

My closest class mate this term lives 2000km from me!  Sometimes I feel like those 1950's really remote school students in the Australian outback that used to have their lessons by short-wave radio in their homes.

I've now done with my case studies.  I have one quiz to do this week (hard) and the presentation to give (easy).  I have 14 days now until the end of term exam, 6 of those days are without work and 5 if you take out the one I'm doing MoH duties on.

My study plan is to revise First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 musculoskeletal chapter today (plus find, tag, and revise additional sections relevant to this term ie osteomyelitis is under microbiology).  Then revise one case every two days making sure to cover off all learning objectives (as outlines at the front of each case).  Additionally, do at least 10 USMLE World QBank questions per day and at least 3 AMC MCQ questions per day.

For revision I'll combine the case study notes with my Kaplan notes and core textbooks.

I have one day as buffer.

I'll probably only get to revise for 3 hours a day on the days I'm working.

Other resources I will probably use are Wikipedia (I'm big enough to admit it), Doctors In Training Solid Pharmacology lectures, and Almost a Doctor revision notes, flash cards, and mind maps.

So, today, FA.....

(Just remembered other annoying things on my to-do list.... realising 14 days wont translate into much actual revision time...... slight wave of overwhelment coming over me..... trying to stay calm.... might go watch relaxation DVD first.......)

No comments:

Post a Comment