Friday, July 8, 2011

Med school annoyances

Sometimes my med school really annoys me.  Not because of the learning material or lecturers, but because of stupid administrative errors. 

I get that there are a million different time zones for different students - but get your act together.  Med school is confusing enough without constantly moving the goal posts, giving conflicting information, restricting flexibility in a distance education unit, and then accusing the students of being stupid for raising issues of merit instead of admitting you stuffed up.

Really annoyed right now.

Here is an exact example:

".....final exams will be administered following completion of the module (i.e., "week 9"). The exam will be open from 1 am - 11 pm Pacific Time."

Um, hello.  What day of the week of week 9?  And isn't that part of the USA now in Pacific Daylight Time (I only know that from Googling Pacific Time as stupid me thought it might be the time Samoa is on seeing as Samoa is in the Pacific and where my med school is located)?  And when did I have to start converting time from USA to my time when everything else is in Apia time (where the school is based in Samoa, rather than the curriculum coordinator in the US) or what about UTC on Greenwich meantime?  There is only one US student in my class, one Kiwi, two Aussies, and four Samoans.  But, no, we'll work off YOUR time seeing as you are in the centre of the known universe.

So after a bit of Sherlock Holmes work I believe I've deduced that (I think) my final term exam will be on Monday the 25th July from 6pm to 4pm the next day.  Luckily, I have that day off.  In the past terms we've had two weeks to book a session at the testing centre in the big (capital) city closest to our homes.  Now it's to be online at home.  Can anyone spell "loop-hole"?

When my presentation is is another story..... I thought it was next week (Week 7) but the website where everything is listed says it's Week 8.  I'm going with week 7.  I'm now reduced to relying on gut instinct.

Maybe from their point-of-view it's simple.  But when you're thousands of miles (or should I say kilometres) apart from everyone else, information needs to be accurate, timely, and reliable.

Too much to ask?

Most probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment