Saturday, July 9, 2011

Osho and getting over myself

So I've come to the point where I just can't handle my own crappy mood anymore.  I just have to get over myself.  Sure I'm tired, sure I have a lot of stress at work, but that can be neutralised with the right mindset. 
I get Osho.com things sent to my Facebook.  Today's came at just the right time.  I heard a saying once: "When the student is ready the teacher will appear".  Today I was ready.  It's not a new theory or philosophy, its more about remembering to be conscious of one's own mindset, remembering to try and "witness" the mad monkey of the mind rather than getting swept along with it, and remembering that mind and consciousness are separate things.  The consciousness is the real "I" (or soul, if you like) and the mind is something different, as is the body.

Here's an excerpt from today's Osho teaching;

The whole Eastern methodology can be reduced to one word: witnessing. The whole Western methodology can be reduced to one thing: analyzing. Analyzing, you go round and round. Witnessing, you simply get out of the circle. - Osho

(Nb:  Dont't get too wrapped up on East vs West - it's just a generalisation.) 

And here's the Buddhist Four Nobel Truths (which I really need to print out and put on my wall or tattoo on my hand);
  1. Life means suffering
  2. The origin of suffering is attachment
  3. The cessation of suffering is attainable
  4. The path to cessation of suffering (the Eightfold path)
It's good to point out here that some people think the translation of "suffering" in English is probably more close to "stress" or "uneasiness" and is meant to describe the difficulty we humans have to just be content.  There is always some attachment or aversion - to want happiness and comfort and avoid sadness and pain.

Thankfully, points 3 and 4 exist.  I think the first 3 points are universal, but the forth is probably left up to interpretation.  Not everyone needs to practice a Bodhisattva's life to rise above suffering, in my opinion.  But generally, the Eightfold path describes the "middle-way" theory which is closely aligned to the Western saying "everything in moderation" and also is studded with acting ethically and with integrity and, of course the most important cornerstone of Buddhism, "mindfulness" which includes the practice of meditation.




----------------
Last night was the tipping point.  Stress at work+++ and I just thought to myself "this can't go on.  I can't change the system.  I just have to deal with it".  When I started in the job I wasn't so focused on how things "should" be.  I just went along with it, did the jobs I got despatched to, did my bit, took them to the nearest ED, and that was that.  Now I've been in the job 3.5 years I see things, faults, all the time. 

Patient such-and-such that waited too long for an ambulance thanks so reasons x, y, and z, who's myocardium died, and now is a cardiac cripple.  Patient so-and-so that was misdiagnosed because facility x is set up like a hospital but really doesn't have the appropriate facilities and the doctor that was on-call didn't bother to see the patient in-person but gave instructions to the nurse over the phone.  And what about the patient that got left at home because the paramedic got too confident with their diagnosing abilities and decided to go on probability diagnosis and not look foolish at the ED than rule out that 1% Red Flag diagnosis which ended up nearly killing the patient.

I can't get stressed out about these things.  But I guess if I'm going to try and live by the Eightfold path I need to try and contribute to bettering the system.  I know I can't fix it completely.

How can I do this?  This may call on all my wisdom and creativity.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment