Sunday, July 10, 2011

A day in the life of

I just got home from work.  I'm on-call tonight.  I stayed back about an hour and a half to do a handover as our branch manager is going off on leave and someone else is taking over.  She has just come back off leave so there was lots to go over before I went home, and I'm the Health and Safety Rep, so thereare a few things we have in the works atm.

We were busy again today.  Ever since we moved to this new despatching system our workload has increased by about 50%.  That's about 3-4 hours a day of downtime I've lost now.  We were out late again last night until 4am on a call-out.  My dog is about to disown me.

But that's ok, I don't mind working for my wage, it just calls for an adjustment in my schedule.  I'll probably do less overtime now on my days off so that's where I'll pick up the hours to study.  However, my roster is 5-on/5-off so one week I'll have heaps of time and the next week barely any.

Nevertheless, the show must go on.

I'm now about to login and attempt my terrifying weekly quiz.  I've just opened the books for a quick refresher as it is for the gout case I finished a week ago.  I have my pager and portable radio and luckily these quizzes only go for 5 minutes (timed) so if I get a call-out now I'll be ok to complete it.

My stress and anxiety was good all day until I remembered this quiz.  Now it has gone off the scales again.  As my adrenaline levels don't seem to go back to zero at all, it just takes one minor stressor and I'm off the charts.  It happens every time my pager beeps, or I think about the potential of getting a cardiac arrest as I haven't done one now for over a year (being in a rural area and on-call by the time we get to people they are usually past possible resuscitation).  Anyway, this anxiety thing happened at about this time last year and it finally went away.... when I went on leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment