Friday, October 21, 2011

Study pattern

For those who are interested in the day-to-day study pattern of an OUM med student, I will try to continue to give a daily description this term of what I'm doing.

So, yesterday....was almost too long ago to remember.  We were quite busy at work and I was feeling really tired.  I think I probably managed about 4 hours study (it's a 12-hour shift, but we had a break for the first 2 hours, so 10-hours at work yesterday on-duty) and I first revised the second half of my case study notes (from the day before) which took about half and hour.

Then I started back on one of the readings - Kumar and Clark's Clinical Medicine.  I had done a few pages on Intro to Endocrine so I revised them, then finished the intro section and went to the section on Thyroid Axis, which is about 3 pages, and then I started on Hypothyroidism.

I managed to borrow the Guyton and Hall Physiology text from the hospital while I was up there with a patient.

That is all I got to do in four hours (!) because it was so interrupted.  Maybe it was more like three hours.

When I got home I watched the last 15 minutes of Send in the Dogs which is about the Police Dog Squad in Australia.  I had started watching it the other night (for about 15 minutes) when I decided to record it and study.  I then recorded Paramedic: Recruits so I wonder if I'll get a chance to watch that any time this week.

I also had dinner.  About an hour had lapsed since I got home and I started watching the Kaplan videos again.  I think this will be my new nightly routine.  I revised the notes from the night before, and got about 30  minutes into the video when my pages went off at about 8.30pm.  I was out until 2am working.

Due to being out so late, and working basically from 9am to 2am, we got a break until 12pm today.  So now my day is cut short.

Today I started studying back at work with the Guyton and Hall Physiology assigned reading.  So, I thought it said to read pages 74-76, but it is in fact chapter 74-76!  It's about 40 pages!  Also I need to accomplish about another 15-20 pages of Kumar and Clark and a few pages of anatomy (but I'm not going to stress too much about anat).  These are the three that are listed as this week's syllabus, but in the case study there's manyt other readings, such as embryology, histology, and pharmacology, which makes me think the syllabus are the most important.  But obviously I'd like to achieve all of the required readings.  There's even more recommended readings and links to websites, but I can't see it happeneding.  Maybe if I have spare time after Sunday's lecture I'll scan the weblinks.

Normally, I highlight my textbooks and try to mentally retain the knowledge as I go.  Obviously, I can't highlight the library book, so I started to make notes instead.  I'm not sure which will be more effective for me.  I'm starting to think note-taking, which goes against my normal way.

Probably a combination of reading, highlighting, note-taking, and watching the Kaplan videos is ideal.

Ok, there goes my 15 minute blog break.  Back to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment