Saturday, October 8, 2011

Mac time

Well, I did it.  I finally bought myself an iMac.

I've had my Lenovo mini-laptop for about two and a half years now, so I think I got my $500s worth.

I was looking and umming and ahhhing over an iMac before my trip, looking at refurbished models, secondhand ones, the student discount, the finance options, etc etc.  In the end I was trying to write this friggin annoying assignment yesterday and thought "I've had it".  Coincidentally it was the same day Steve Jobs had also had it.  RIP Jobs.

So I generally pride myself on not getting too swept up in the hype.  I've managed to resist an iPhone all this time, and an iPad.  I finally succumbed to an iPod a while ago when my cheapie MP3 just wasn't making the grade.

I have also found my recent computer habits are quite confined to the desk therefore a desktop makes sense, that and also I spend a LOT of time at my desk at home thanks to that little medical degree and masters degree I'm trying to work my way through.

My smart phone is doing very well for internet browsing the odd thing here and there.  The ebooks I have on it serves me well for a bit of study squeezed in where I can at work or the traffic lights.  Perhaps the only gap I could find is those times I want to sit on the couch and do a bit of uni work, or at work when the work computer is occupied..... And then they invented the iPad.

The iPad was initially only interesting to me because it is yet another in a long line of technologies which seem to have been developed straight from Star Trek's vision of the future  And they called it a "pad" which is what the Star Trek one is called ("PADD").  So that's cool.

But now with my whole going back to the desk top thing I though there was room in my life for an iPad, so, well I was already in the Apple store anyway, so that's how my credit card got a nice workout today.

And what about my Kindle?  I still think it;s superior for reading comfort and probably suits us older people who don't like reading from backlit screens.  But I haven't really used it.  I have friends that use their's all the time.  Hmmm.  Not sure what I will do with it now I have the iPad.  I can't imagine carrying both around.  Stay tuned for more on this.

So that's about it.  I have the weekend to do these assignments and I really can't wait to get back into med school.


No comments:

Post a Comment