Tuesday, October 11, 2011

No more Masters

Today I finally submitted my final assignment for this term in Masters of International Health. Woo-hoo. I hope I pass because it was pretty average work.

I've decided to take a leave of absence from my Masters and to concentrate on med school. Of course this all makes obvious sense to anyone sitting on the outside.

Well, again it happened today. As soon as I decide to take a break from masters, I see something about the health crisis in poor countries. Today I was checking out Dr Najeeb's video lectures on YouTube, and he had these "other" favorite videos so I watched one and it had the most horrible pictures of really skinny little children in Africa. It was quite alarming and moving. It was all photos I've seen before, and I have experience first-hand with this sort of thing, but it's so easy to forget "those" people way over "there".

I haven't decided to give up my goal which is to work for MSF, but I have decided I really need to put more focus, time, effort, etc into med if I'm going to get the USMLE scores and therefore hopefully residency that I want.

In other news - I'm settling back into work ok. I'm loving my new twin-Apple purchases of the iMac and iPad and they have indeed made my life better (it's not often a purchase can fulfill that promise).

And I start my new term of med school on Monday.

So I'm feeling particularly motivated right ow, which is probably due to the modest break I have had away from med, but I put in one of my Kaplan videos tonight, read a page of my Davidson's, flicked through my Murtagh's, scanned a bit Standford Mini Med School, and now I'm feeling a little lost and without direction. I suppose the best thing to do would be to revise or look at those "additional" modules from OUM once again but I wasn't expecting to have completed my masters assignment by tonight.

I did watch about five minutes of the Kardashians wedding special before I started having delusional thoughts of sticking chopsticks through my eye-balls. I'm just not that integrated back into the western world yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment