Thursday, March 3, 2011

Problem child

My lecturer just sent me an email and he said I was his "problem child"!  hahaha  Well, I'm not sure it is all that funny, I don't want to be the problem child, but it's too late!  It's even funnier, because his native language is not English, to use such an expression.  It makes me concerned he has picked that term up from someone else in describing me.

I don't want to be anyone's problem child.

So, how did this happen?  Basically as described in previous posts - they changed the compulsory time commitments with NO notice, putting extreme pressure on my work commitments.  And, I guess, I was much less willing/able to budge than the other students.  Must be that Eureka Stockade blood in me.

Actually, it comes down to prioritising and if my uni/lecturer can't see that paying my bills and keeping my job is superior to making lectures, and I'm happy to wear the loss in 3 marks for the term in order to work 3 extra shifts, then I become a problem child in their eyes.  I think medical schools have some right in saying that medicine is really important and you need to be 100% committed, but at the same time it is not the be-all and end-all of everything.  I realise I'm bucking the trend here. 

My mentor says doctors can't take sickies.  Ever. Reading other med student/resident blogs I see that the hospital owns you.  I can see that this is going to be like the Army all over again.

So anyway I actually think my ability to see the bigger picture is what makes me a good ambo and what will make me a better doctor too.  There are some things in ife worth getting stressed over, and some things which are over-emphasised.  I also believe in being very thorough and meticulous, and I would never do anything half-assed, and I always make sure I'm not missing an important "red-flag", but there is always a time and place for prioritising in life and also - shock - in medicine.  I am also very competitive and I think I do work hard, I am the horse afterall (in Chinese horoscope).

Ok, maybe I'm being a little naive, but I have no real way of knowing until I get out there.  I lot of my colleagues say I'd make a great GP because I listen well, and I don't underestimate patients symptoms, and I always make sure I'm not missing something serious.  They are always impressed by my ability to remain compassionate in trying situations. Again, I just focus on what's important - my job to treat my patients.

I don't know.  Time will tell I guess.  Until then I have to hit the books and make sure I get a decent grade on this impending exam.  If I get a poor grade, then my lecturer was right.  If I get a good grade, then I'm never turning up to another lecture.  And if I get an average grade, then... I think I was lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment