Tuesday, June 12, 2012

TCM/Western med confusion

So as I mentioned a while ago, in Chinese Medicine, the organ names are the same as in English but they describe totally different things. Great. Why not just leave them in their Chinese names and it would make it so much easier to not get totally confused. Here are a few examples (of TCM):

  • The Heart houses the Mind
  • The Spleen is involved in digestion and absorption
  • The Urinary Bladder is involved in filtration and reabsorption of fluid
  • The Brain and spine are full of Marrow
But, like I mentioned before, in Chinese med the names are in either in capitals or have a capital first letter denoting that the Heart, for example, is not the heart. The heart is that thing that beats in our chest and is transplanted in surgeries etc. The Heart, however, is much more than simply the heart. It is even more than simply the cardiovascular system. I am starting to think the Kidneys are more like the adrenals or perhaps the entire endocrine system, and the Spleen is the duodenum and spleen combined. I reckon teh Urinary Bladder is the entire renal system, and Marrow is more like cerebro-spinal fluid.

Confusing? Try being me.

So if anyone ones anyone that has studied both and any consolidation information please let me know as I'm finding it difficult to find resources. I am already a member of the Australasian Integrative Medicine Association.

I would love it if they would just say "Hey, we're going to only use the Chinese names now so noone gets confused" but that's not going to happen any time soon. I mean "Qi" is so much better than "life force" and we seem to be able to handle that. But that's because there is no English word for Qi in western medicine right now. Energetic medicine is looking into this as we speak so stay tuned.

Western med - really good and specific biological processes and isolating individual functions.
Chinese med - really good at observing the body as it relates to nature and putting together the smaller pieces of information to form a pattern of diagnosis.

Is it becoming clear why I want to do both?

No comments:

Post a Comment