Sunday, January 23, 2011

Difference between paramedic and medical studies

Many of my colleagues are interested to know what the difference is between their paramedic studies and studying med.  Well, apart from paramedics being focused on emergencies and pre-hospital care, if I come across an insight, like today, I will endeavour to post it.

So, I see there is a large focus on anatomy this term (respiratory).  Just now I am going over the lungs in gross anatomy.  In my paramedic degree we needed to know there were two sets of lungs, two main bronchus, the right main bronchus was larger and straighter than the left, there are 3 lobes on the right and 2 on the left, and the main bronchus branch off into smaller bronchi, bronchiols, terminal bronchioles, then alveoli.  Now in med, add on top of that the 10 segments in each lungs, their names and positions, and names of their bronchi, the oblique and horizontal fissures that separate the lobes, which blood vessels supply which parts, and so-forth. 

The other big difference is that in the past I probably would have read the same anatomy textbooks, it's just that now I know I will have to remember it for the exam if I want to pass and/or do well.  There would have been few questions on the lung segments in my paramedic degree exams.

(The above is just as an example.  I'm sure many paramedics can name all the segments.)

No comments:

Post a Comment