Friday, January 21, 2011

9/10 is not good enough

I've never done anything before where scoring a 9/10 was disappointing.  I just got my weekly quiz results back and got 9/10.  I am a little relieved becasue 8/10 would have been really disappointing.  And anything below that = depressing.

And it's not just me. That's the way the lecturer feels we should be performing in lead up to the end of term exam, and then ultimately the medical licencing exams.  True - the quiz questions are what you would call "easy" compared to medical licencing exam questions, which is why we need to do so well on them. They're not what I'd call "easy" in comparision to anything else I've done before, but that is all part of the attraction to medicine.

Aiming for perfectionism is all part of the mentality I suppose.

Today's agenda - well, I'm working so I always try and refresh myself on my work guidelines (protocols) everyday and then make sure I'm up-to-date with any work related administration before I use my downtime to study medical stuff.  It's my 3 year anniversary today working for this ambulance service :) - it has gone so fast.

I have the WHO TB manual for medical students to look through, which is fantastic and helps answer a lot of the case study tasks.  I'll be keeping it on me today so if we are at the hospital, or wherever, I can flick through it. I can't help thinking about the people back in Cambodia where I've volunteered as there is a lot of TB there.  This is good as it helps me focus and realise I really need to learn this stuff as I might (will probably) need it to save someone's life some day.  That's pretty motivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment