Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Status quo and spark of motivation

Yes, same ol', same ol' here.  Just working, enjoying freedom from med school, looking forward to holidays, got lots of social plans on my days off etc.

I think my brain is already on holiday.  I don't want to do overtime, I'm finding every excuse to not do my Masters readings, and what PT course?  My house is looking tidy though and I've been flicking throough House and Garden magazine, and I have heaps more energy at work.  I feel sorry for my work colleagues as I've been operating in a constant state of  half-dead, but I didn't really notice that until now.  It's funny how you accept that because you're a med student you just automatically have no other quality of life.

I've been reading the Mothers In Medicine blog a bit lately.  Not because I'm a mother (unless you count my dog and cat), but because other blogs link back to interesting articles about juggling home life and work, choosing the right partner, and some other interesting aspects of being a female that is successful in the workforce.  Anyway, it's given me a bit of much-needed inspiration.

Just had a really sick acute pulmonary oedema patient.  I haven't had a full-field APO for ages.  It was good to do someone that was actually so acutely and time-critically sick.  I was sure he was about to arrest.  Thankfully he didn't and our treatment brought him back in the right direction.  We picked him up from the bush nursing hospital where they rarely do sickies and the staff need a lot of paramedical direction.  I was the treating officer and it kind of felt good asking the other paramedic to do this, the Div 1 nurse to do that, the nursing student to grab me this, and the doctor (GP) on scene if it was ok for her to give a drug that we dont' carry but he needed.  It went smoothly, efficiently, and I caught myself mid-IV cannulation drawing parallels between that situation and what it would be like to be an ED doc running an arrest or similar.  I really think emergency medicine is for me.

And it was just what I needed.  More motivation to continue studying this long, long (and expensive) journey through med school.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Just wondering if you have email contact. Im mature student in Australia and thinking Oceana could be an option.

    Thanks
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    The best way is to contact OUM and they will forward your email on to all students who can then reply to you if they wish. I generally reply to all of these requests because I asked a LOT of questions before I started.

    Goodluck!

    CJ

    ReplyDelete