Saturday, August 27, 2011

Op-shopping and my life update

This post is so massive it needs sub-headings.....(I need to lay off the RedBull....)

Op-shops, animal welfare, and the environment
So I've been getting into op-shops lately (that's "opportunity" shop which is like a charity or thrift store for all you foreigners).  I was so stoked today to find a long black down-filled jacket for $3.50!  At first I wanted to get a North Face one for over $500AUD.  Then I was horrified to learn they are only $250 in the US and I couldn't get a new one online and sent to me.  I saw some on ebay a little cheaper - around $200-250.  Then my friend just got back from Tibet and she scored one for about $30AUD.

I got a good new silk-blend sleeping bag liner from ebay for $12, so even if I have to hire a sleeping bag I will feel ok in my liner.  I'd love to buy a good -20oC one though cause I get so cold and I want to do some camping this Summer - I already have a light one and a medium one, so a heavy one would be great (I know -20oC sound too wam for Summer, but for me it's a real comfort knowing I wont be too cold).  I also need a new swag, but that's for another adventure.

Other things - I also picked up a pair of cargos, a short skirt and short shorts (for over legging), and a longer, flowy skirt for my modesty especially in Nepal - all were less than $3.50 each.  Apart from saving money, time, and recycling (well, reusing I suppose, but anyway...), I'm mainly most happy about the down jacket because I've been battling a moral dilemma bout it.  I normally avoid leather, silk, and sheep skin, and I only eat meat once a day - and only free range chicken, beef once a week, and some seafood (mainly fish and mainly the ones which aren't being over-fished which you can find a guide here for Aussies, and here for worldwide), avoid dairy, I only get pets from the pound etc etc.  I try and consider the animals in my choices.  I'd love to be vegan but it's really impractical and quite difficult to make sure you diet is full of the essential amino acids and omega-3s etc.  Anyway, I am happy I could at least get a recycled down jacket - those little geese didn't give up their bodies for nothing.

My upcoming trip
So my trip is finally coming together.  It looks like I have most things if not everything already.  I hope to tread lightly as possible and eat locally.  Mainly backpacking so the souveniers will have to be minimal and thoughtfully chosen.  My last leg of the journey is thorugh Bhutan so I;m hoping to pick up a traditional dress.  Through Tibet I wouldn't mind some prayer flags, althogh you can get them here in Australia quite easily.  Those spinney prayer thingys (I just Googled it - they are called hand prayer wheels) will be good too.

Medicine
Now, study.  I have requested that OUM transfers me into the MD program.  I am currently in the MBBS, designed for Aussies and Kiwi following the traditional Commonwealth model.  The difference is only a matter of a few weeks extra clinical placements in which I would do a sub-internship, hopefully in the US and hopefully in emergency, family, or paediatric medicine.  However, recently OUM has decided to examine MD students on the basic sciences separately as they were finding students were having difficulties in the USMLEs in these areas.  So, seeing as I want to sit the USMLEs, I asked to go into the MD stream which is apparently more difficult, and is definitely more expensive.  Some people would avoid these two things like the plague.  Not me!

Personally, I feel I am most lacking in the basic sciences so I kind of like the idea of being pushed more in this area.

I had been considering residency in the US since the get-go, and with recent developments in Australia it seems like IMGs are going to have a hard time getting internships.  I am also fond of the idea of internship in Samoa, however I didn't realise until yesterday that the wage for interns is only AUD$15000pa!  That's less than 10% of what I earn now.  It's really only a problem in I have a mortgage that needs contributing to, or other Australia-life commitments.  At least it is a good incentive to get my finances well-and-truely in order by then.  So, that new car I was thinking about getting is not going to be got.

I am friends on Facebook with an American OUM student and she told me the US OUM grads have been really successful at gaining residency.  I must ask her in which discipline.  The OUM curriculum advisor told me the sub-internship clerkship is really important for getting one's foot int the door for matching into their residency programs.  I think I will be good at this after going through the paramedic clinical placements and then graduate program - be super-dooper friendly, seem intelligent and thoughtful and competent but not over confident, work your butt off, be the first to arrive and the last to leave, have no other life outside of the placement/grad work, offer people drinks and food and make their life easier not harder, and most importantly, did I mention food?

Masters
Yep, so I'm supposed to be finishing my assignment right now (I'm at work again) which is why I drank the RedBull but instead I sewed buttons and holes up on my new opshop purchases, made a healthy lunch (to try and prepare myself for the diet of lentils coming up), discussed MoH things with my sister, and chatted to my work partner for today who is an IT guru about using my mobile phone as wifi for my laptop at work (we only have one PC and it can be inconvenient) and using wifi instead of internet roaming data stream while overseas.  Whew.  Oh, and blogging.

Ok must finish this essay.  I've done 1100 words out of 2500 and it's due in 2 days.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment