Thursday, August 18, 2011

At work

Seven working days left until holidays!  Yay!  And that includes a training day, so only 6 left on the road (with six nights of call, unfortunately).

I just looked at my ambulance station's stats this morning, and our workload has more than doubled since changing onto this new despatching system.  This could be a very good thing if we want to get funding for a proper night-shift here and stop doing call... Ah... a girl can only dream....  The good thing with more call-outs though is more money.  It seems to be getting a bit easier to meet my tuition fees right now.  Feeling fairly good.

Masters - Essay one of two has been commenced.  I'm giving myself until the end of Tuesday to complete it.  It's about the epidemiology and burden of STIs and HIV in India and the second part requires me to decide on priorities for programs in the prevention of STIs and HIV.  It feels strange to write an essay again seeing as I don't do them in med school right now, but I'll just work through it systematically as usual.  Start with the heading and subheadings, collect data and references, and mould it into a coherent piece of writing.

Easy?

Fitness update - it has totally been sacrificed for everything else in my life.  I had a great conversation with a guy at work that is the perfect picture of good health and fitness and I watched him throughout a working day and he had already gotten up really early for a run so was planning to do not a lot after work, then spent the rest of the day preparing and cooking meals every few hours, shopping for more fresh groceries etc.

My other friend at work that works out every day puts all her energy into getting a workout done that everything else gets done second.  She eats fairly "normally" though but is not a high performing athlete like the guy from the first story.

So, what I'm trying to say is I haven't found that perfect balance for me yet but I'm still searching and I wont give up because right now I feel soft and sluggish.  Yuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment