Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Limitless

One of the problems with living in a small rural town is I have to drive 40km to my car dealership for a service and new tyres.  I have a little system now - I get them to drop me off at the mall and I do a bit of shopping and watch a movie - today was the same.  Today I got a mani-pedi, ate a curry lunch, browsed many stores, spent a little (too much) money, then went and watched Limitless.  I really liked it.  It was totally my kind of film, except for the violence.  It was about getting the most out of your day, the perils of addiction, and the theory of what comes up must come down.

So I related it a lot to studying medicine.  The addiction part does not only apply to drugs, but any pharmaceutical, or anything addictive at all, and in my case - sugar and caffeine.  And also it applys to studying medicine - I mean the lead character is so addicted to intellectual high-performance but he has difficulty maintaining it at a constant.  I don't want to ruin the ending but I was satisfied and encouraged by it.

While I've been on leave I feel like my brain has been on an intellectual holiday.  In fact, I'm watching The Kardashians right now.  I'm so glad I watched that movie today as I think I got a lot out of it in terms of pushing yourself but also finding moderation to order to maintain a high-level.  I think I can certainly apply it to my marathon training as well, and virtually all areas of life.

So this is not some big revelation to me but it was nice to watch that movie.  Despite it's Hollywoodness, it was about a million times better than the last one I saw: Barney's Version.

So after all that I am really motivated again and kind of can't wait to start next term.

No comments:

Post a Comment