Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fitness and sleep and stuff



So while I've had such a lengthy break from work, study, and travel, and am now near the end of the break, I am sooooo thankful I had this space to reorganise (most of) my house, take some time out for some beauty (haircut, mani-pedis, etc), to take care of "me", and mostly to get my fitness back on track.

I just bought the above book.  To be honest, it is restating a lot of the principles I already believe in but to hear Chelsea Handler rave on about it on her show Chelsea Lately, and it was only $5 on Amazon, I just had to get it and give it a read.  It has reinspired me to look at the way I'm eating and really step it up, which is worth $5 in itself.  It has also made me have a closer look at my workout routines and give that a shake up too. 

The most important think I got out of this book as the author states the number one most important thing for keeping in shape is sleep!  May favourite thing!  These four weeks has allowed me to simply sleep as long as I wanted, and after the first week of catching up on sleep-debt, I think I have been able to discover I'm a 10-hours a night person, and just how important it is for me to find those 10 hours.  It is a good foundation to take into work when I go back to shifts and on-call.  We only get 8 hour rest breaks between call-outs and starting back on-duty, which is a real problem.  Think about it - it often takes and hour from walkig through the front door to being asleepin bed, and it take me about an hour to get ready for work when I wake up.  I haven't got a solution to that problem as yet except for sleep banking.

My fitness is back to where I think it should never get below.  I've been really thinking about how I can work fitness into my everyday life, this includes working out and eating properly.

In the book he talks about at MFRK - mobile food readiness kit.  I so need one for my work bag to have in the ambulance.

As for my marathon training, I haven't been running much since I got my Zumba.  I absolutely LOVE dancing which means I enjoy my workouts - which is so important.  And the cardio from dancing is right up there with running, allowing me to at least work on my cardiovascular fitness all ready to take it out there on the road.  The weather is holding me back, so are the issues with my dog, but I know they are excuses and I need to get over it!

No comments:

Post a Comment