Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Thoughts on TCM terminology and using myself as a case study

I was thinking just before about what the patho terms in TCM mean in western world. I haven't even begun doing pathology at TCM school but I have my diagnosis as an example:

TCM diagnosis                  Western diagnosis
Heat in lungs                         Respiratory tract virus
Damp heat in tonsils            Suppurative bacterial infection in tonsils

Of course, in ancient times before the microscope and the germ theory, a virus would be described as "heat" and pus-forming disease as "damp-heat". To be honest, I don't care what it's called I just want it to be fixed. The rest of my diagnosis is what really interests me as it described qi and blood stagnation. This is where the yin-yang balance is out and is what ill prevent future attacks.

Today my tonsils have pretty much lost the pus now and look softer and very moist and quite vascular. I am very happy to see the pus gone indeed. It was freaking me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment