Tuesday, April 17, 2012

TCM herbs - Chai Hu

While I cook up another batch of my prescription TCM herbs, I'm going through my diagnosis sheet and trying to learn about a few herbs. I find this very interesting. I'll try and write up a bit of what I'm studying and learning out of interest and to solidify my own learning.

Today is Chai Hu -



Other names;


  • Pharmaceutical: Radix Bupleuri
  • Taxonomic: Bupleurum chinense, B. scorzoneraefolium
  • English: Bupleurum, Chinese thorowax root
Used for shaoyang syndrome, to spread liver qi, and to raise spleen yang.
Precautions: interferon. Contraindications: liver cancer and hepatitis C.

Chemical composition
Triterpenoids (saikosaponin A, B, C, D, E; saikogenin F, G, E; saikoside), essential oils 0.06-0.16% (r-heptalactone, r-decalactone), carbohydrates, flavone, coumarin, organic acid.

Pharmalogical effects
• Analgesic and antipyretic
• Sedative
• Anti-inflammatory
• Hepatoprotective
• Cholagogic
• Antihyperlipidemic
• Immunostimulant
• Antibiotic


No comments:

Post a Comment