Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My journey into the the history of TCM in Australia

Today I had the most amazing day researching for my TCM history essay. I'm looking at when TCM came to Australia with the Chinese miners during the gold rush era in the mid 19th century. I started at Soverign Hill in Ballarat where I had arranged an appointment. There was a lot of research done for the mock-up Chinese miner tents that are a recreation of life during the gold rush. One of the huts was a recreation of a Chinese herbalists store. What I found was very useful including some important dates and names and some interesting stories of European doctors adopting acupuncture as they saw anecdotal evidence of it working. After Soverign Hill I went to one of the sites where one of the Chinese villages used to be. It is now a housing development. I then went past Eureka Cntre, but it was closed for renovations. Then I went to the art gallery and there is kept the original Eureka flag which is amazing to see. It is huge! There are also a number of painting depicting the way Ballarat looked during the time of the gold rush and scenes from the Eureka rebellion. After that I went to the old cemetery where some of the Chinese miners were buried (although most had their remains sent home to China if possible). It had a small blue stone building for burning leafs or papers or something (excuse the poor research) and a few dozen stone markers with Chinese pictograph writing on them. So that was quite fun. Now just to write 2000 words...

No comments:

Post a Comment