Monday, September 2, 2013

St John Ambulance induction.

I'm nearing the end of Week 4 with some last minute study at work today and my quiz tonight while I'm on-call (so I hope I don't get disturbed).

This week went ok but I felt I lost too much time somehow. Firstly, on Tuesday at work I think I spent too much time talking to my work colleague, after-all, it was my first shift back in 8 weeks. Wednesday it took my just about all day to go and do the grocery shopping (not sure how), plus I had a sleep-in to make up for lost sleep Monday night.

And yesterday I spent all day at the St John Ambulance Induction Training so I can do placements with them as a student doctor. Idid study on the train on the way there but too tired on the way back plus I was sitting facing backwards which make me motion sick! How I function as a paramedic I do not know.

I already spent a day with SJA doing my Level 1 First Aid, which I think is ridiculous considering I'm a qualified ALS paramedic, but anyway. We did CPR and defib again (just the automatic defib device) and made sure we could make our slings look good lol

Well it should all be worth it as I am doing my first duty at the Rhianna concert in a few weeks, and then I can start putting my name down for the MAT team duties (Medical Assessment Team) which consists of only health care professionals (doctors, nurses, and paramedics) and health care students and looks after things beyond the first aid scope.

Personally, I love doing a bit of first aid because we rarely do minor stuff in ambulance and I get perplexed when someone asks me what to do about a simple sprain, for example.

Anyway, I have to go finish my learnings on fluids and electrolytes. I think I'm spending too much time on acids and bases which is next week but somehow popped up on this week's learning objectives too.


No comments:

Post a Comment