Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Week 4, here I come

I have a renewed sense of optimism and energy starting Week 4 today.

I really began it yesterday afternoon (Monday) after my quiz to try and get some reading of the case done before the first lecture at 8am on Tuesdays.

I had a big headache and felt tired so I went back to bed for a few hours this afternoon. I have been slack with my diet and eating bread again and drinking a bit of coffee and I really must stop that before I return to work on Thursday.

I sat down tonight with my little exercise journal. I have two weeks until a taekwon-do competition in Mildura, and then only two weeks after that is the Australian Masters Games in Geelong. I went to tkd training last night and I have lost a serious amount of fitness over the past 3 or so weeks. It's scary! I am very motivated to go to training as much as possible, therefore I must study a good 10 hours during the day. Training takes up a huge chunk of time as it's such a long drive to our club and we go to the gym for an hour beforehand to work on cardio, strength, and stretching. The 1.5 hour classes are technique-focused.

Anyway, it's all fluids and electrolytes this week so there is heaps of physiology to understand. I like physiol, but this week is truly daunting.

This is what I'm doing right now:


  • This week's learning objectives (this week they came with the answers. Not sure if it was a mistake? Normally it's just a question format, ie "What are the fluid compartments of the body?")
  • This week's case. It's MASSIVE. There's about 4 actual clinical vignettes and 25 pages of information attached with it.
  • Revision of lecture and slides. I just can't pay attention for 1.5 hours straight so I am trying to go over them again. I have a second lecture on Thursday morning. I feel the quiz questions are covered well in the lectures in this module.
  • Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology - the appropriate chapters in the renal section on fluid and electrolytes and also diuretics
  • Dr Najeeb lectures on fluids and diuretics. 
  • Then, I have 3 required readings to do
  • USMLEWorld QBank renal physiology questions
  • cross-referencing in First Aid and Kaplan revision sources that I have

No comments:

Post a Comment