Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Marathon....in Antarctica

I think some time ago I talked about wanting to do a marathon. That goal sort of goal pushed aside and forgotten about with the commitments of med school and my fitness falling by the wayside. Well now the idea is in my mind again. It's just something I have to do for myself. But finding motivation is quite difficult...until yesterday. I worked with someone who just came back from running a marathon in Antarctica! There's a 4-year wait list but I'm putting myself down for the 2015 wait list and the 2016 confirmed list!

I tell ya, it is much more motivating to get up in this icy windy weather and run when you know you're preparing to run in Antarctica! My friend said it was about -2oC with a windchill factor of about -5oC. That's pretty much what it is here in Winter at night. I know this because I often have to refuel the ambulance in these conditions.

It's probably about 8oC today with a windchill to 5oC. It was that sideways stinging rain, and the hill I run up atm is nicknamed Windy Hill. I ran 3km today. My goal is to run 3km until I can do it non-stop, then increase to 4km and do this increasing consistently until I'm planning to do my first marathon next year. Depending on how much I enjoy it (or not) my rough goal is to maintain a good level of fitness and running until preparing for Antarctica.

So, it's quite expensive to get there. Around $7000 from America, so add another $2500 for flights from Melbourne. I've given myself a goal of saving $10k in 3 years (although I may have 4 years). So, yesterday, I opened a special savings account named "Antarctica" and my goal is to deposit $1 for every km I run from now on. Oh, and the other special condition is that it must be running continuously. So today for example I ran up to the top of the hill which was 1.5km and then I walked a bit then started running again (for a total of 3kms). So now I'm going to move $1.50 to that special savings account! Woo-hoo! I'm on my way!

I have to run on average 63km per week for 3 years (to save enough money). When people train for marathons they run about 100km per week. When I got up this morning I thought to myself, "I need to get some k's under my belt to get some savings!" So, you see, it's double-edged blade of motivation.

The idea of running a marathon in Antarctica is highly motivating for me. It's not just the Melbourne marathon, or New York or Paris... it's Antarctica! Yep, I need a BIG goal for big motivation and I've found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment