Monday, August 26, 2013

Thank you Jesus, Thank you Buddha, Thank you Old Gods

Phew. I just got 80% on my quiz.

I really, REALLY needed a confidence boost and a good score like that was just what I required.

Massive PHEW.

I forgot to write last week that I realised I had TWO lectures per week, not just one. I missed the second one for the first two weeks, but luckily they've changed the policy so you can watch the recordings if you miss them. I have no idea how I didn't realise it before week 3. I was really kicking myself, I felt so down on myself: "Oh you can't even figure out when your lectures are, let alone pass the course".

So far, I've gotten over 80% in all my modules except Neuro (due to illness), so I shouldn't really be so hard on myself. I have written about this before, but I will say it again, med school can be really hard for a lot of students becuase they come from a previous background of everything being easy for them. I know for me, even if I didn't study much in other courses, I could still 'wing' and exam and still do quite well. This is NOT the case for med school at all. It is one of the reasons why I wanted to do med, to really push myself and do something that did require me to put in a little effort. It can be uncomfortable at times, and I question my abilities ALL the time. I don't know why. I should be more confident. I heard that being confident can boost your IQ by 10%!

I'm also really really glad to have gotten a good score this week because now I can stop telling myself:

1. You only did well in the Week 1 quiz because the first week is always the easiest
2. You only did well in the Week 1 quiz becasue you can do ok for short periods, but do not have the stamina for a long course
3. Even if you didn't have technical issues in the Week 2 quiz, you still would have failed it any way
4. The academic coordinator thinks your a liar and you made up the technical problems with the quiz and when you fail the 3rd one as well this will prove it to him

Gee it sounds like I'm really negative. I'm actually a really positive person. My old cranky GP who didn't think I could make it in med school was right about one thing: it really does require a lot of strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment