Friday, September 30, 2011

Female traveller

I'm back in the relative comfort of Kathmandu. Despite its dirtiness and craziness, for some reason I feel more at home in Nepal than I did anywhere else on this trip.

The flight was delayed due to weather in Kathmandu. You can imagine my surprise when they made their boarding announcement and the only aircraft I could see out on the tarmac was a twin-propeller plane!

At first I was scared, then a bit happier because I thought it should do better on the shorter runway at Paro and in and around the mountains which flank the airport.

Then I started to get scared again when I questioned whether a twin-prop should go OVER the Himalayas. Agh.

Obviously, I survived in one piece.

-----
Being a female traveller can be interesting. Of course there's the extra male attention, extra caution when out at night, but then there's the fun of trying to find tampons...

I came with extra tampons on this trip because I knew from previous experiences how difficult such a luxury item can be to find.

Trying to explain to housekeeping, the pharmacist, and the taxi driver what it is I'm after, and even showing a tampon as an example, became very not fun very quickly.

I suppose I can last two more days without the luxuries of home.


No comments:

Post a Comment