Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Life lessons

A couple of interesting things happened to me this week. One is that I bought my first Louis Vuitton handbag and first pair of LouBoutin shoes. If you are like my boyfriend and have no idea what this means, well it means that these are luxury items. Think of Mercedes in the car market and transpose that into handbags and shoes.

Here's the thing: the bag is good, but not THAT good. I like it. I bought it preloved and I'm so glad I did because there is no way it is worth the original $1800 price tag. Also, I am so bloody self-conscious carrying it. I don't like leaving it lying around just in case someone thinks its worth more than it is. Then there's the worry that people will think I bought it new and was so wasteful with my money.

The shoes: they're not that good either. I prefer the ones I got from the opshop. I don't know what brand those ones are but I like them. I'm reselling the shoes as they don't fit properly anyway. I am also glad I bought them pre-loved and not the original $1500 price.

So far my experience of these items is not what I thought it would be.

Then, today, I saw a post on Facebook that asked you to "choose" any one of a number of special gifts. By far the most popular was the ability to know the number of every scratch card (to get rich), and the second-best popular was to have the worlds highest IQ. Now, being in Mensa (and potentially Triple Nine Society) and knowing some super-dooper intelligent people with genius IQs, I know that having the world's highest IQ is not the "magic bullet" that people think it may be. People think they would be able to learn everything, to know everything, and to therefore make really good decisions and figure everything else out to get what they want. Not so. People are more than just rational thinking machines. And having the world's highest IQ doesn't necessarily make learning things about life simple.

That got me thinking about whether being rich isn't actually as good as some people think it might be.

So I Googled it. Turns out that being rich isn't the "magic bullet" some people think it may be.

Once I heard a saying that went something like: Money isn't important unless you don't have any.

I have being participating in a manifestation course (like the principles of The Secret). I am an avid vision-board maker. I bought a Law of Attraction Planner (I think it helped me secure my latest clinical placements).  I know people think it is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo, but what it does do is make you really focus on what you want. What you ACTUALLY want. These exercises made me think about whether I wanted to manifest that mansion on the hill nearby. The truth is: no, no I wouldn't want to live in that mansion. It's too big, too much maintenance, and draws too much attention. I already feel the house I live in is more than big enough for the three of us. Any bigger and I'd need staff. I don't want "staff" in my personal home. AS it turns out, I LOVE my house that I currently am in. I want to do more to the garden and buy new curtains, but overall I love it.

After I manifested my Louis Vuitton bag and LouBoutin shoes, I have realised I need to be careful what I wish for. I am grateful for them as they have made me realise the joy I thought they would bring me didn't happen. It makes me able to imagine if I did have that expensive luxury car: would I be constantly worried where I parked it? I heard a surgeon's Audi got keyed at the hospitals. It drew too much attention.

So, where to from here?

I truly believe that sometimes you have to go off course to know when you're on the right one. I think that's how heat-seeking missiles and sniffer dogs work.

I was manifesting 2016 as the year of luxury and celebration. I may need to rethink what this means to me.

Anyway, no big conclusion or pearls of wisdom; just some rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment