Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Pandemic!

The Covid-19 pandemic hit in full-swing during my ED term. It threw a few of our normal practices up in the air, including our training schedules, exam dates, rotations, and day-to-day operation.

We were VERY lucky at our hospital. We saw Covid cases but were spared the tsunami that has broken many EDs around the world. We were certainly stretched and patients did not get the highest level of care in the most timely manner during that time but I think overall we avoided major bad outcomes.

Considering Emergency Departments are normally stretched thin on a normal day, the pandemic was very difficult to deal with.

Many of my colleagues and patients were very anxious, stressed, and scared. The PPE was horrible to wear (hot, itchy, restrictive) but we were thankful to have plenty. We also had to homeschool our eldest daughter and my husband took a brea from studying law to maintain the home front.

The first wave is behind us now and at the end of this week I move into Psychiatry.

I'm so happy to be off shift work for a while and onto normal shifts but I will miss having weekdays off.

The pandemic also paused my progress on the WBA so I am not due to finish that in October instead of July. Many of my colleagues are in a much worse position with exams being postponed etc.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the next term, working my through this year and to General Rgistration, and seeing what next year holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment