Friday, April 13, 2018

AMC Prep Week 5/6 - on the road

I am in Week 5 of 6 weeks AMC prep and I am away from home visiting my parents in Tasmania. So far they have been very supportive of my study including looking after the children and cooking meals etc. I wish I had this much support all the time.

This week I have dedicated to the AMC Anthology of Medical Conditions book, specifically the images within the book as I hear they appear on the exam, and AMCQBank. There is probably about 100-150 pictures in Anthology so I think it's reasonable to at least learn the conditions/diseases presented.

I have also been told the images in Tjandra Surgery textbook are worth knowing, however that is a much larger textbook. I will have a flick through when back at the hospital library. My colleague also said each topic that appears in AMC Handbook to look up the answers online in the RACGP guidelines. That makes total sense. And is probably a better way for me to study than using Murtagh's.

I am really enjoying QBank. I was around 70% average but I've dropped to 60% since doing the normal distribution of questions, that is more adult medicine, whereas before I was focusing on obstetrics and gynaecology and psychiatry questions to supplement my study last week for which I seem to do better on exam questions. I have done about 400 questions out of 1795 so far. Actually, I think part of my drop in percentage is doing the questions at home and on holidays because the distraction level is extreme. I find I lose A LOT of marks because of simple errors such as reading the question or answer choices incorrectly. I will have to take my time on the day.

My colleague just informed me she passed the AMC with a 60-65% average on QBank so that is a little reassuring, however I would like to improve my scores over the next few weeks before I sit the exam. Of course, I'd like to do really well on the exam, and not just pass it, but I need to sit it next month as I don't have any more full-time study time available to me, plus hoping to have some results for internship applications mid-year.

I have now booked my exam for Saturday the 19th of May. I will be staying in the city (without the kids) the night before so I don't have to travel as far to the testing centre. I need to be there at 8:30am.

My current level of confidence has improved to where I can see I can possibly do this (hence I booked the exam) but I am not very confident at all. And it feels shit.

Overall, though, this prep has made me feel much more confident about possibly being an intern soon. As a supervising doctor once said to me: "You don't have to be the best, you just have to be average." Love it.

If I pass AMC then I will feel the right to feel average :)

No comments:

Post a Comment