Thursday, June 6, 2013

No playing doctor today, and feeding my dog a vegan diet

The GP I observe wasn't abe to have me today as he already had other medical students booked in.

That's ok becaue tonight I go and get officially recruited as a student doctor with St John's. Woohoo! Unfortunately, my uniform will probably be badged as "paramedic", but I'll know deep down inside that I'm a student doctor lol

Today: I have no other plans. I normallly do my workout first thing in the morning, but I felt a bit lazy today. As long as it's done before 6pm, so I'll plan to start it at 4:30. Until then it's food and Facebook.

Last night at the Buddhist Gompa was really good. I had my vegan meal (I couldn't have dessert as it had dairy in it) of pumpkin and lentil soup and a main of tofu noodle satay and a massive green salad. Delish. I had water with my meal and I heard another lady say she was going to have a cup of tea so she could stay awake during the lesson...Not sure that's a good idea. I am pretty anti-caffeine these days. Clean carbs are the new caffeine....

The Geshe spoke of how wisdom means love and compassion for others, but that this must start with ourselves; how we must not just eat what tastes good, but what is good for our bodies. We cannot love others without loving ourselves first. He also spoke of, basically, peer pressure and adopting the habits of those around us, and when our peers leave, the habits become ours and harmful to ourselves. He used drinking and smoking as examples, but to me it resonated with general modern living and this toxic food environment we live in.

I've also started my dogs on a transition to vegan diet. I thought it was mean at first, but then I read about how healthy it makes dogs, and how they can live to a really old age, I thought it was mean NOT to put them on a vegan diet. I think I wont make them strictly vegan, but their daily meals will now consist of about 90% fresh vegetables like steamed root vegetables and grated zucchini and carrot. My dog had watermelon for a snack this mornign for breakfast with me. He wasn't sure at first, but then he loved it and kept coming back for more. There are heaps of resources on the web to find out what foods are ok for dogs. Bascially, grapes/raisins/sultanas are bad, apple seeds, and tomatoes, garlic, and onions. Everything else seemed logical to me: no chocolate, no caffeine, no big pips from stone fruit (choking hazard). It's best to feed them root vegetables cooked, as you do to humans. They also need more fat in their diet than humans do, so coconut oil and peeanut butter seem to be a popular choice. Oh, macadamia nuts and avocadoes are out too.

Here's a link to the ASPCA guide.

Anyway, I'm probably going to find a good few recipes for them and stick to it, so it's not that difficult really. So far what I've been making them I could easily eat myself, so maybe I will do that in the future - make batches for all of us omnivores! (It's funny, I always thought humans were omnivores and dogs were carnivores, but now I think humans are herbivores and dogs are true omnivores...)


No comments:

Post a Comment